coming soon: New Website with better graphics, galleries, podcasts, and easier navigation!
- Newsmagazine: Chios News (Ciaka Nea): Panchiaki Korais Society - Chapter 1, Archived Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF files available for anyone to download
- December 2008 Issue 11K file (right click to download first)(to open PDF's, download Acrobat Reader, click here for Links Page)
- The Panchiaki Korais Society - Chapter 1, will crown the next Miss Chios during their Annual Dinner Dance, 7:00PM, on Saturday, February 19, 2011, at the Terrace on the Park, located at 52-11 111th Street, Flushing, NY 11368.
- For Miss Chios Application click here
- Previous Winners:
- CLICK HERE for message from Miss Chios 2009 Evanna Exarchos
- CLICK HERE for message from Miss Chios 2008 Christina Kosmidis
- CLICK HERE for message from Miss Chios 2007 Tania Vavilis
- Chios Society - Cleveland Chapter 7 Newsletters
- FALL 2010 Issue p1-2
- WINTER 2009 Issue p1-2
- FALL 2008 Issue p1-2
- United Chios Society of Baltimore, Annual Dance with Lefteris Bournias, November 13, 2010. For info, please email or call Kiki Stroumbis kikistroum @ msn.com, 410-952-3679
The 31st Homeric Award of the Chian Federation, Saturday, November 13, 2010
The Board of Directors and the Homeric Award Committee of the Chian Federation kindly request the honor of your presence at the 31st Annual Homeric Award Gala, honoring Mr. Philip Christopher, President of the International Coordinating Committee “Justice for Cyprus” (PSEKA), and President of the Pancyprian Association of America. This special ceremony will take place on Saturday, November 13th, 2010 at 7:00 pm, at the Hellenic American Cultural Center of the Chian Federation located at 44-01 Broadway, Astoria, New York.
The Homeric Award was established thirty one years ago to honor individuals who have distinguished themselves as advocates of human rights and whose strong and abiding commitment to the Hellenic ideals of freedom and democracy is an exemplary model to humanity.
During his long service, Mr. Christopher has been a staunch advocate of the ideals upon which the Homeric Award was founded. Born in Kyrenia, Cyprus, Mr. Christopher immigrated to the United States with his family when he was 10 years old. He is one of the most highly regarded leaders in the Greek Cypriot and Greek American communities, marking three decades of ongoing advocacy for these groups.
The Chian Federation represents a large number of Chian societies in the Greater New York Metropolitan area. Since its inception in 1974, the Federation has evolved into a community-based non-profit organization which provides a myriad of services to its members and the surrounding community.
Please respond by Wednesday, November 10, 2010 to (718) 204-2550, by fax at (718) 278-6199 or via email: chianfed @ chianfed.org
(Black Tie Optional)
Agelasto Family Reunion
The Agelasto family reunion, held in London 12-13 July 2008, was attended by about 80 bloodline Agelastos. Events comprised two Greek restaurant meals and a visit to West Norwood Cemetery. Also, following Saturday vespers, the Right Reverend Bishop of Nazianzos Dr Theodoritos gave them a tour of St Sophia Cathedral and its museum; he included a memorial mass for the family after Sunday’s Divine Liturgy. They are planning a trip to Chios in September 2009. The shared stories, documents and photos have been added to their website.
For more on the story: click: http://www.agelastos.com/genealogy/
On Sunday, November 15th, 2009, the traditional remembrance of the November 11 holiday for Chios Independence was held with a religious service at St. Markella Church in Wantaugh, New York. A luncheon, hosted by the Panchiaki Korais Society and the Chian Federation was held in the church hall and the keynote speech was delivered by Captain Stelios Tatsis. Click here for Images
Youth of Dafnonas Society Gives Grant to St. Johns University Greek Club
A historic grant of $500 was given by the “Youth of Dafnonas Society”, Chios to the Greek Club of St. John’s University. The grant was presented by Markella Mallas, President of the Youth of Dafnonas Society, to Greek Club President Constantine Gurlakis and his Executive Board on Thursday, October 1st before a standing room only membership. “The St. John’s University Greek Club/Hellenic Society is an amazing club,” said President Mallas. “It keeps the Greek community connected in St. John’s University. In an effort to help keep this club alive, the “Youth of Dafnonas”, Chios Society proudly donates $500 to the St. John’s University Greek Club/Hellenic Society. We hope to keep our youth connected by expressing Greek Pride.”
SJU Greek Club President Constantine Gurlakis said “with great pleasure and honor I accept the donation. I personally extend my warmest thanks to Markella Mallas and her Executive Board for their donation. These funds will be used to spread Hellenic culture and causes across our campus. Greek-American students across our campus can rest assured that our Executive Board will try its best to ensure Sr. John’s remains a friend to the Hellenic youth and Hellenic ideals that have fueled thought for centuries. Donations such as Ms. Markella Mallas’ Youth of Dafnonas Society will only help our cause. For that reason, she will have our eternal thanks of the St. John’s Greek Club.”
Dafnonas is a picturesque Chian village on the slopes of Mount “Kakia Skala, overlooking Kampochora and the coast of Ionia (Asia Minor, Anatolia). The village was named after dafnes (laurels). Tradition states that the village comes from an old settlement at Petrana, at Kanavoutsata or at Lavrina. It was transferred to its present location, at the end of the 10th and beginning of 11th century. The town has the churches of St. Panteleimon, patron saint and St. George. Medieval ruins showing signs of the Genoese occupation predominate in the town.
For more info:
http://www.stjohns.edu/campus/queens/clubs/stu_orgs/stu_orgcultural/greek.stj - History of the Greek Club
http://facpub.stjohns.edu/~tsounisc – History of Modern Greek at St. John’s University
(Click Thumbnails for Large Images)
Greek Club President Constantine Gurlakis (left to right) receiving grant of $500 from Markella Mallas (2nd from left), President of the “Youth of Dafnonas” Society as Maria Catechis (Vice-President), Alexandra Foukalas (secretary) and Alex Giannikas (Public Relations) look on
The Greek Club of St. John’s University
Nickolas Rodinos, Our Past Supreme President (1986-1988), passed away on Tuesday, August 4th, 2009 after a long illness.
Mr. Rodinos, 76, was born in the capital "Chora," of the island of Chios, Greece on July 20th, 1933. He was the beloved husband of the late Angeliki, nee Gineris; devoted father of Kathryn (Alex) Bravos and George (Kathleen); fond grandfather of Anastasia and Michael Bravos and Nicholas Rodinos; dearest brother of Ipatia (Dimitri) Anast; fond brother-in-law of Ted (the late Mary) Svarnias and Louis (Afrodite) Gineris; dear uncle of George (Kim) Anast, Nick (Theresa) Anast, Nicholas Svarnias, George (Michele) Svarnias, George (Eleftheria) Gineris and John Gineris; and a devoted great-uncle to many.
Mr. Rodinos came to the United States of America in 1953, he served on the Parish Council of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, and as chanter at Holy Trinity and Assumption Churches. He was active as the Democratic Precinct Captain in Elmwood Park, IL. He served as Past President, Secretary and Treasurer of the Panchiakon Society "Pelineon" of Chicago, and also as Past Supreme Governor of the Chios Societies of America and Canada. His funeral service was held Saturday, Aug. 8th, 2009.
Donations in his memory can be made to Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 6041 W. Diversey, Chicago, IL. 60639
- IN MEMORY OF DESPINA CONDOLEON - DONATIONS BEING ACCEPTED FOR KORAES LIBRARY IN CHIOS Click here for Details
- AHEPA 44th ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS BANQUET
- CONGRATULATIONS TO PAST SUPREME PRES. GUST SEVASTOS OF CLEVELAND FOR BEING HONORED WITH THE SOCRATIC AWARD
Saturday, May 2, 2009, 6:00 pm
St. Demetrios Hellenic Cultural Hall
22909 Center Ridge Road
Rocky River, Ohio 44116
+Αντώνης Τσόκας - Χιακός Συλλογός <<ΚΟΡΑΗΣ>> Philadelphia, PA Click for Story: (Greek - Ελληνικα)
1st Annual Young Adults Dance - October 25th 2008
Come join the Young Adults Association of Kambia for an unforgettable party. On October 25th 2008, we will be hosting our first annual Dance. The party starts at 11pm and will feature Live Music by the band of Yiannis Lignos and George Rambos. This party is to celebrate the Next Generation of Chians. So come and meet new people and old friends and party Chios style.
Admission is $50 and includes buffet and Open-Bar.
The Event will take place at:
The Cultural Center of the Chian Federation (Chiotiko Spiti):
Astoria NY 11103
Both Greek and English flyers in PDF format
A’ Ethsia Coroesperida NeolaiaV
O SullogoV NeolaiaV Kampiwn kai Agrelopou
parousiazei thn prwth ethsia coroesperida$50.
gia thn neolaia thV Ciou stiV 25 Oktwbriou 2008
sto Ciwtiko Spiti. Einai eukairia na gnwristei h
nea genia thV Ciou kai na xanabreqei me paliouV
filouV. To glenti arcizei stiV 11m.m. me zwntanh
mousikh apo thn orchstra tou Giannh Lignou kai
tou Gewrgo Rampou. Eucomaste na saV doume gia na
glentisoume Ciwtika kai na perasoume mia
axecasth bradia. H eisodoV einai
Politistiko Kentro thV CiakhV OmospondiaV (Ciwtiko Spiti)
Astoria NY 11103
On Saturday, September 27, 2008, the Educational and Cultural Committee of the Greek Orthodox Church of the Ascension, Fairview, NJ in association with the Chians of their community are presenting the Second Annual Cultural Event, dedicated to the historical island of Chios.
Click on the flyers for full info:
Greek Flyer in PDF
English flyer in PDF
- The United Chios Society of Baltimore invites everyone to their first meeting of 2008 at the Acropolis Restaurant on Sunday February 10, 2008 at 1:30p.m. Click here for details
CHIOS SOCIETY “AGIA MARKELLA”
WARREN, OHIO, ANNUAL DANCE
ST. DEMETRIOS COMMUNITY CENTER, 3223 ATLANTIC ST. WARREN, OHIO
SATURDAY MARCH 8TH, 9:00PM-?????
MUSIC, FOOD, AND DANCE! Featuring Lefteris Bournias (Clarinet), Vasilis Patrikis (Violin)
, STUDENT $10.00, 12 AND UNDER FREE!!! for more info: warrenchiossociety @ gmail.com or xioti42 @ aol.com
- E-News from the Chian Federation
- (to download Acrobat Reader, or to view e-News from chianfed website, click here for Links Page)
Chios Camp 2007: The Chian Federation is again administrating this trip for the Chian youth, this summer, please sign up your sons & daughters ASAP! Details and forms to download
The United Chios & Ladies Panchian Societies of Baltimore celebrated the feast day of Agia Markella and awarded Scholarships on July 23rd Click here for full story
- Athena Dallas Damis (1923-2005), The CSA&C will host her one year memorial service at Agia Eleni in Thymiana, Chios, on August 20, 2006. Click here for her biography
- The Panchiaki Korais Society - Chapter 1, will honor Miss Chios 2006 at the Chandris Hotel in Chios, on Aug 20, 2006
- The Enosis Omogenon Chios Society, on July 29, 2006, hold their Summer Dance in Chios at the Erytha Resorts/Karfas. Click here to view their letter. (Greek)
- The Chian Federation will honor George Almiroudis on May 20, 2006, at the Cultural Center of the Chian Federation, in Astoria, NY. See their eNews for Details.
- The Panchiaki Korais Society - Chapter 1, holds their "Paschalino" Event on Sunday, May 7, 2006, at 1:00 PM, at the Cultural Center of the Chian Federation, in Astoria, NY. Click here to view their letter. (Greek)
- The Panchiaki Korais Society - Chapter 1, honored Dr. Theodore Kalamotousakis and Mr. Manos Moraitis during their Annual Dinner Dance on February 18, 2006, at the Sand Castle, in Long Island, NY.
- The Chian Federation honored Congressman Joseph Crowley with the 28th Annual Homeric Award on January 28, 2006, at the Cultural Center of the Chian Federation, in Astoria, NY.
- The Chios Society Cleveland - Chapter 7, honored Bert and Marjorie Moyar with the Chian Achievement Award during their 68th Annual Banquet & Dance, on November 19, 2005.
- The Chian Society of California, Agia Markella, has become our newest member society. We welcome them to the CSA&C and look forward to meeting them at the Convention in Las Vegas. Contact Info
- The Chian Federation of NY celebrate their 30th Anniversary on the weekend of June 11-12, 2005, at the Cultural Center of the Chian Federation, in Astoria, NY.
The Panchiaki Korais Society - Chapter 1, announce that they will soon break for the summer and their office will go to summer hours. They will honor Miss Chios 2005 at the Chandris Hotel in Chios, on Aug 17, 2005 Click here for details (Greek)
- The day after the Astoria Quarterly Meeting, the Chios Societies participated in the Greek Independence Day Parade on 5th Avenue in NYC on April 10th, 2005. Images
- The Panchiaki Korais Society - Chapter 1, honors John & Evangelia Klidas during their Annual Dinner on February 12, 2005, at the Sand Castle, in Long Island, NY.
- The Chios Society Cleveland - Chapter 7, honors Dean G. Chimples with the Chian Achievement Award during their 67th Annual Banquet & Dance, on November 20, 2004.
- The Chian Federation of NY honors Dr. Stamatios Krimigis with the 27th Annual Homeric Award on November 20, 2004, at the Chian Cultural Center Hall, in Astoria, NY.